Friday 16 January 2015

Vertical Pipe Garden Solutions

Is a Vertical Garden the Solution?

I grew up on about a quarter acre plot of land in Johannesburg, South Africa. Not so much land, especially by African standards, but much more than my 2x3m cube. This might sound obvious, but in a "soil garden" you plant things in the ground and they grow up. As a result I tend to think of the garden as starting on the ground and going up. But this conventional mentality is not cutting the mustard in my unconventional balcony garden. 

I can't really attach anything to the fence as it's a rented apartment (no holes in the wall!) so I have historically clung to putting plants in pots on the ground and tried to train them around the fencing. This looks clustered and uneven - I would prefer to space my plants out more. I need to think more vertically and top to bottom so I looked up some ideas to see if I could incorporate them into my plan:

Old gutter pipes should be cheap and might look like a feature if I spray-paint them different colours.

Individual pots would make it easy to change out failed plants. Also, it is essentially a giant drain - perfect for drainage.

The sloping design of this planter would probably be great for drainage. But this looks like it will take a while to look natural instead of a giant pipe construction. I wonder if that depends on planting - maybe more trailing plants would hide the structure better.

This suspended pipe garden is so cute I want it immediately. I'm a little worried it might not withstand the wind in Dublin... But faint never won fair garden!

These hanging bottles are by far my favourite idea, but again, wind would probably devastate them. I think I will make one anyway just to see what it looks like anyway. There will be a video, get excited! #timelapse

No comments:

Post a Comment